Monday, February 14, 2011

Spike

Behold. Round two of the sweet treats. I burned the previous 24 perfectly round, pale pink, light as a feather macarons. One minute they were happily lined up on the baking sheet like 48 little soldiers marching toward their service in Valentine happiness. The next they were charred, hard as nails, meringue bullets. Had to shoot 'em down the drain. Casualties, every one of 'em. No macarons for my Valentine. But it kind of evens out....he has an elders' meeting tonight at the church.



This is Spike, my Valentine of nearly 18 years. We met at his church where I worked as a secretary. My baby girl spied him at night church and suggested "we" get to know him. I told her to mind her own business. He told his friend, Coach, that he was thinking of asking out a divorcee with three daughters. Coach raised his brow and his voice as he scolded Spike, "Are you CRAZY?!!" 38 year old never married bachelor goes after 41 year old divorced mother of three girls. What's not to love?



On our first date (interview) he asked me all kinds of questions that were none of his business. I answered them all. As we drove down County Line Road he asked me when I needed to be back home. I said Monday. He swerved into opposing traffic and I considered whether or not I needed a psychiatrist. That was before the huge palmetto bug flew between us in my kitchen as we had the awkward end of the first date conversation. Well, at least I'd had a nice steak and found out what it's like to drive the wrong way on a four lane boulevard. HE was back on Monday and in about three weeks gave me fair warning that this was headed somewhere. That alarmed me since I knew I was headed to the beach with my daughter's drill team. Marriage for him, high steppin' with 18 year olds for me. A match made in heaven. I overheard my boss telling someone it was going to take a special man to marry THAT girl. He was right.



1 Peter 3:7 "Husbands, live in understanding with your wife." Spike is very athletic. I do nothing to make me hurt, sweat or smell bad. Spike eats only meat, green beans, bread and sweets. I like "weird stuff" as he calls it like broccoli, gnocchi, and stuffed eggplant. He operates a motor vehicle the same way he plays basketball. First one to the goal wins. I prefer to arrive conscious, upright, and breathing. Public speaking gives Spike the hives and an overwhelming hope that Christ will return before he takes the podium. I could spend all day teaching and for the most part not think a thing of it. He doesn't do dishes and I don't do yard work. Spike wants and needs to know every detail and I figure if it's something I need to know they'll tell me. His idea of a fun evening is watching a sporting event on TV. Any sporting event. My idea of fun is trying to come up with the 36 Events that Changed the Course of Human History listed in the catalog that arrived Saturday. Spike is an ace at living in understanding with THAT girl and loving on his grandbabies.















Ephesians 5:33 "Women, see to it that each of you respects her husband." Spike loves the Lord more than anything or anyone else. He loves my girls and their husbands. He lets our grandchildren crawl all over him and mess up his perfect hair. He is a business man of the highest integrity. His 6'5" frame is filled with humility. If I say any more he will croak from the attention. Trust me.












Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her." Living with understanding is one thing. But dying for another is something else entirely. While I see Spike defer to me in a thousand ways, I live each day with the confidence and assurance that like my Savior, my husband is willing to give himself for me even unto death. The tornado that roared just north of our home on that early Saturday morning after Thanksgiving 10 years ago took the possessions of many and the lives of a few. Ever calm in a crisis Spike was determined that the whirlwind might take him but not THAT girl. I was stunned and still am by the display of selfless love lived out before my eyes.
So it's really ok that he wakes up every morning at 4:30 rattling around the house. It's ok that he loves that black cat named Jezebel that hisses and swings at me as I pass by. It's ok that we haven't had stuffed eggplant or gnocchi in 18 years. It's ok that he'll be meeting with the other elders on Valentines night because who's thankful beyond words for the gift of her husband? THAT girl.











10 comments:

  1. That is very nice. You two are a great couple. We are blessed to have you as friends. AW

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think the same of y'all. :) Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post!!! So blessed to know you, Shirley!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a wonderful post! It's always fun to get a glimpse into y'alls life! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, you are a sweet blessing to me and have been ever since I first met you at MOMs. Happy Valentine's Day to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank YOU, Anna. I think you've been getting some pretty serious glimpses from here for about 15 years now. And you're still willing to look. :) Thank you for all you do for me. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wonderful. A pleasure to read and an encouragement/challenge as I love my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you KB. The whole idea of the blog was to do just that! Happy Valentine's Day to your and your sweet peeps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shirley, this is beautiful! We love you and Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gayla. Thank you. We love y'all, too, and are so grateful for your friendship. I just read Sarah's blog post about Caroline's birthday celebration. You have the sweetest girls. So, so dear.

    ReplyDelete