Friday, February 24, 2012

Boiled Custard: It's Medicine


If you've not cooked or ever tasted boiled custard then here is your assignment for the day. Make some. Keep some for yourself and take the rest to someone who's not feeling up to par. Boiled custard is some of the best comfort food this side of heaven and seems especially palatable to those undergoing chemo. No health insurance required and believe me, boiled custard is not included in our new government health care plan. But you will want to have the recipe at hand so that you can make it a part of a loving mama and grandmama's family health care and happiness plan. Grandmuvver introduced us to this golden delight when the girls were little. My own grandmother baked 1000 custard pies and custard cream pies but plain boiled custard was never seen in her northern kitchen. One more reason to move south.

First, we must have an egg conversation. After cracking an egg do you remove the "chicken?" When I was a little tapper and asked my mom why she took it out she replied,
 "Well, would you want to bite down on that?"
That was all my prone to be queasy stomach needed to hear.
We have forever thereafter removed the chicken.
Do you?

The ingredients required are few in number and common to any kitchen.
4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
Don't you love this corn starch container? Good packaging really sells a product.
 It's like a good book cover. When we're at the book store...well, never mind.
That's another idea all together.
Anyway, good container.
Place the milk in a heavy saucepan over a medium flame. Grandmuvver scalds milk over med-low as she calls it. I think electric stoves are a result of the fall. If you get to choose, choose gas. You'll never regret it. Warm the milk until the little bubbles appear around the edge of the surface of the milk. Don't boil it though.

While the milk is warming combine the sugar and cornstarch in a bowl, mixing it well.

You don't want any lumps of cornstarch or you'll have lumps in your custard.
That would bring a lump to your throat.
Gradually pour the sugar and cornstarch mixture into the warm milk, stirring constantly.
I went out on a limb not stirring in order to snap a picture.
And please know that I'm fully aware that the photos on my blog could be better and more professional looking. I'm holding my second Runs With Scissors give-away today hoping someone will give away a camera.
To me.
Remember those eggs that now have no chicken?
I should have already told you to beat them well with a fork. And then beat them a little bit more. This requires developing an egg beating rhythm of sorts. You probably already have developed that skill. Notice, these eggs have not been beaten enough. Go ahead and relieve some of your frustrations. Beat those eggs until you cannot distinguish between white and yolk.
You've got to do this next step or you'll have lumps.
Lumps of yolk in your custard and biting down on that is worse than biting down on the chicken.
Pour the beaten eggs through a sieve into the mixture on the stove stirring continuously.
Stir the cooking mixture for about five minutes or until it begins to thicken and will lightly coat the back of the spoon. This is where personal preference comes into play, too. Everyone has her own opinion about how thick the custard should be, but remember, it will thicken more as it cools and once it is in the refrigerator.
Really thick cold custard is called ice cream.
Or better yet, frozen custard.
Once it has reached the desired thickness turn off the flame or remove from that hot stove top and add the vanilla.

One tablespoon is actually twice as much as the original recipe calls for but it surely does taste good with extra vanilla.
You can tell just by looking at it that in this case, more is better.
If by chance your finished custard has any lumps, strain it into the storage container.
I use a mason jar, one quart and one pint.
Keep in the fridge for up to five days or so.
But it won't last that long.
We serve our boiled custard in a juice glass, a parfait or wine glass.
I think a bucket full would really be even better, but I wouldn't want to over-do since I've already been
extravagant with the vanilla.
Then we top it with whipped cream or Reddi Whip for the little peeps along with raspberries, blue or black berries and those strawberries from Plant City or Louisiana.
Today it's blueberries and a heart because..
We love Ginger!
Get well soon!

4 comments:

  1. You make me laugh! I miss you!

    I just may have to try this...I do have all the ingredients on hand, and the kids always love some dessert on Friday nights. I must admit, I'm a little confused about the 'taking the chicken out of the egg' thing..you are joking right!?

    I've been really enjoying your posts from MOMs..Marriage Matters! I'm thankful for that ministry being extended to us who can't be there!

    And I'm thankful for your blog..and you!!
    A-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ali! Yes, we just called it the chicken. It has a real name, but I don't know what it is. Tell Brad, Kenzie and Cam I said hello. I miss y'all down here. It's hard to let interns come and go so often. :(
      Keep your posts coming on life in SD, ok?
      Soooo good to hear from you.
      Love,
      Shirley

      Delete
  2. Doesn't look much more difficult than a curd and sounds like a scrumptuous remedy for the sore throat and sinus thing going on! How does this differ from a pudding? My kitchen suffers from an excess of corn starch, so even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paula. It's not as thick as a pudding (or mine isn't) butit's basically the same recipe. It's so easy and fast.
      Thanks!
      Shirley

      Delete