Saturday, December 21, 2013

Four More Days


 

My dear husband is Mr. Christmas Decoration. We are up and at 'em the morning after Thanksgiving and off to find the perfect tree. I should say he is off to find the perfect tree. I'm there for moral support. Our ceilings are 10 feet, so Mr. Christmas Decoration generally chooses a 12 foot tree. It's fun watching the young men wedge it in between the ceiling and the floor and I've grown accustomed to the places where the trunk has scraped the ceiling in the living room. When we were first married and on the adventure to find the tree, I located one that seemed fairly decent. "What? Not THAT one," he grimaced. "What's wrong with it?"  "Nothing, if you want a Christmas shrub." (When you're 6'6" everything looks like a shrub.) We go for the sequoia sized trees. "Where's the gold stuff?" he frowned after I'd painstakingly wrapped 40,000 lights and carefully placed every ornament I could find. "What's gold stuff, my love?" "You know, gold stuff." I called his sister to ask. I called Mrs. Rugg. What's gold stuff? After 20 years of marriage, I'm proud to announce that I finally got the gold stuff.
More gold stuff.
 

 
With a little red and green for me.
 
 
We started this Christmas shelf a few years ago for the grandchildren. The shelves are full of toys (some from my childhood and my girls', too), candles, ornaments, sacks of coal for those on the naughty list.
 
We've gotten into jointed animals for some reason.
Before the grandchildren go home
they can choose something from the shelf to take home to build their own Christmas shelf.
 
There's never been any fussing over who gets what.
I guess they know if they fuss,
they'll get the sack of coal.
Doll house furniture, like the gumball machine, make good items for the shelf.
So do souvenirs from trips and items from the dollar store
like the pretend Limoges duffle bag.
Mr. Christmas Decorations has a December birthday,
so he often receives more decorations.
I've reminded him that everything that goes up
must come down.
It's a good thing I love him so much.
There's been a lot of going up
and I'm trying not to think of the coming down.
He's also a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera.
I thought this was a fine addition in celebration of
someone with a Pearl Harbor birthday.
This used to be my laundry room.
 
Now it houses the fruits and vegetables for the grandchildren.
I'm very serious about their nutrition.
Candy is a vital food group in a well balanced diet.
Their musical education also is paramount.
A singing train often provides just the right amount
of accompaniment for maturing voices. 
Candy jewelry for those handy meals on the go.
And a little tree for little people.
Get well, Charlotte.
Pop and Grammy are ready for you to come for Christmas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment